Senior Solicitor/Associate (2-10 years PQE) – Real Estate, Planning
Based in Edinburgh or Glasgow (also open to English qualified lawyers)
We have an opportunity for an associate / senior associate (2-10 years PQE) to join the Planning team. The successful candidate will have experience in all aspects of the planning system, contentious and non-contentious. The Planning team works for all-interests in the planning system – developers, planning authorities, statutory consultees, and landowners. Its work includes all aspects of the planning system– from reviewing applications and environmental statements, advising on tactics, negotiating and concluding planning obligations, preparing appeals and inquiry advocacy – and compulsory purchase, particularly in relation to transport infrastructure. The team is also involved in due diligence work and advising on planning aspects of site acquisition.
Along with the Public Law team, the Planning team advises on judicial review of planning decisions. There is a considerable degree of cross-over with other specialisms within the firm, including commercial property, public law and environmental law, and team members often work as part of a wider cross departmental team. The team has become increasingly involved in energy work, particularly onshore wind, in recent years, though its recent work ranges through substantial housing developments, retail, mineral and mining, aquaculture, and large multi-use projects.
• Drafting objections to planning applications
• Planning policy research and analysis
• Drafting and negotiating planning agreements
• Assisting with major projects (including compulsory purchase), appeals and inquiries
• Planning due diligence work and general support to property department
• Reviewing environmental statements
• Preparation for and presenting at seminars for clients and colleagues
• Assisting with business development initiatives
• Be aware of our information security policies, and protect information assets from unauthorised access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference at all times.
• 2-10 years post qualified experience is desirable
• Interest and enthusiasm for planning law
• Team player
• Takes personal responsibility to keep knowledge up to date and share with those less experienced
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to deal with competing priorities and meet deadlines
• Shows understanding of clients’ needs, and tailors advice appropriately
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Communicates in a confident, clear and relaxed way, friendly and approachable
• Adapts style of communication appropriately when dealing with colleagues and clients
• Research skills
• Takes responsibility for their own transactions and advice, subject to supervision
• Works to understand the practice's key clients, the industries that they operate in and the challenges they face.
• Self motivated and driven
• Prepared, organised and able to prioritise
• Commercial and profit focus
• Conduct and communication skills.