We are a leading mid-size independent law firm (Legal 500 & Chambers rated) that now employs over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals.
Based in London, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Intellectual Property; Private; and Real Estate.
We have grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 80% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm moved into a purpose designed building, and has converted to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
We pride ourselves on the diverse range of people who make up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its active and innovative social impact strategy is reflected in its Investors in People Platinum standard.
The Litigation Department
We have one of the largest and most comprehensive Dispute Resolution offerings in London; over half of the Firm's lawyers are litigators. From a core of Fraud litigators we have built a team that covers most major areas of the Dispute Resolution world including: Business Crime, Tax, Competition and Anti-Trust, International Arbitration, Intellectual Property and Fraud Defence. Each dispute requires a bespoke solution, sometimes aggressive, sometimes measured. We fight our client’s corner: we take ownership of our client's dispute so that we can resolve it as effectively as possible. We fiercely guard our clients' interests.
The Insurance Litigation Group
Our insurance litigation group acts predominantly for corporate policyholders on coverage issues and disputes across a wide range of industries and lines. Our experience covers the whole process, from advising on risk programmes, mergers and acquisitions and other commercial agreements – but our focus is on managing and litigating policyholder disputes against insurers. Our focus on the policyholder enables us to remain almost conflict free.
We treat the claim as an asset to be recovered and take proactive and decisive action to fight each client's corner. Our understanding of the nuances of the industry and the challenges faced by insurers and claims handlers means we are able to suggest pragmatic, commercial solutions that bring about a speedy and, where necessary, discrete conclusion.
Our experience of the litigation funding and after-the-event insurance market means that we can transfer the cost risk of the legal proceedings to level the playing field when battling a large opponent.
The group's profile is strong. It is regularly involved in high-profile claims (many of which are confidential), including current involvement in what is likely to be the most significant and largest insurance coverage claim to be decided by the English courts for many years to come: the FCA Test Case dealing with coverage for Covid19 business interruption losses. The group successfully intervened and is working alongside the FCA, representing the interests of two action groups (HIGA and Hiscox) as has been widely reported in the press and social media.
London remains the hub of the insurance world with many insurers still writing their business back to London and using English jurisdiction to resolve disputes. However, our lawyers also have experience of handling insurance work emanating from all over the globe. Recent matters have originated from the US, Egypt, Lebanon, Oman, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Areas we cover include: cyber risk; D&O; political risk; product liability; professional indemnity and negligence; property damage and business interruption.
Sectors and industries include: life sciences; construction, M&A, food & beverage; luxury & retail; betting & gaming, and automotive.
Our team represents those requiring advice in relation to:
• Policy coverage disputes
• Insurance programmes and risk management
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Commercial contracts
• Insolvency run off issues
There is a high level of responsibility from the outset, working as part of the Insurance team, whilst being responsible for carrying and managing a diverse and busy caseload.
There is a high level of responsibility from the outset, so our team are naturally self-motivated, enthusiastic and possess a positive attitude towards the challenges and opportunities of managing a diverse and busy workload. Successful candidates will need to be able to inspire the trust and confidence of clients and colleagues, with a real focus on building long lasting relationships. They will also demonstrate the flair and gravitas required in order for them to flourish in our dynamic working environment.
Candidates will be confident in managing client relationships, workloads and priorities. We are looking for proactive applicants who are ambitious and have lots of drive and enthusiasm. Candidates should be commercial, creative legal thinkers wanting to develop a business, who are able to approach matters from a legal and commercial perspective. Sound commercial acumen is therefore a necessity, as well as the ability to 'think on your feet'.
In the context of the above job profile, successful candidates are expected:
• To manage all client work allocated by the Partners and other solicitors within the Group and sometimes across the wider Department.
• To ensure that all client work is progressed in a timely fashion and that the client is kept regularly informed on progress and costs.
• At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner.
• To demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal skills in order to meet the drafting and presentation aspects of the role.
• To ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the Firm’s client documentation
• To demonstrate excellent organisational and prioritising skills to meet the demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients.
• To demonstrate a willingness to support clients out of hours and on weekends (on occasion), providing urgent round-the-clock advice.
• To achieve agreed levels of billing and time recording.
• To maintain clear communication links with colleagues in the Firm.
• To ensure good working relationships with colleagues, clients and external organisations.
• To take responsibility for and attend to self-development.
• To take a keen interest in undertaking business development activities both internally and externally.
• NQ-5 years PQE gained within a comparable environment.
• Expertise within insurance litigation.
• Excellent team player.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Ability to effectively manage own workload.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders.
• Resilient and calm under pressure.
• Adaptable and flexible approach.
• Pro-active and takes initiative.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. Our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.